- I am very proud of myself-2:05 for my first 1/2 marathon, average 9:40 per mile
- I felt incredibly prepared
- I had zero, zilch, nada, no injuries, inflictions, ailments or other serious "issues" that afflicted me
- I was amazed at how fast the miles clicked by
- I can walk again
- It took my legs all of the rest of the day on Saturday, all day Sunday and part of Monday to begin to feel normal
- When running, slow down when you are passing the trashcan to put your Gu wrapper into it, because there might be a metal sign right above it, at perfect shoulder height, upon which you will smack you shoulder at full speed (I said serious above, I didn't say things didn't happen-I kept running, and it didn't even slow my pace...so there)
- Do not not listen to your body when it tells you that you have to pee...again...for the 5th time....before the race starts-this will guarantee that you will have to pee at mile 7
- Believe the hype, compression tights WORK-I didn't run in them, but I put them on pretty quick afterwards and my legs felt very supported
- I actually prefer to run on asphalt to a gravel trail-this was a gravel trail
- I do not like running behind people who are talking and won't let me around them-especially since I cannot carry on a conversation when I run
- Riding your bike the next day, even for just 45 minutes at a light spin, can hurt a little
- Having your coach meet you at the start, with a bunch of athletes she is training with is a great way to start the race!
Yes, I will be running one of those again, even after I'm done with the triathlon. It was an amazing experience which really made me feel quite powerful and strong.
If you are sitting on the couch thinking there is no way you could ever do it, GET OVER IT! This time last year, I was a devout non-runner. Unless you are physically injured or have been told by a physician to not run, go out and do it. Learn to run right, practice practice practice, follow a training plan (no, really follow it-there are a ton on the web) and it will come.
I have picked three mottos for myself during this experience, and I carry them with me:
- Go big or go home
- No excuses
- This shit works
Pick a goal, set a plan, stick to it, transform your mind, heart, body and soul
Say it with me....
THIS SHIT WORKS!
No comments:
Post a Comment