I'm a big bad ass athlete.
I'm training so hard.
Look at me, I swim today, run tomorrow, bike the next, and then I combine two just for shits and giggles. I'm so cool.
POP
That popping noise you heard over Seattle this weekend, that was me and my bad ass athlete ego being readjusted to it's proper deflated size.
Today was a lesson in remembering that it is okay to be proud of your accomplishments. Don't sell yourself short. You've worked hard and you deserve some praise. But never ever ever forget that even when you are in good shape, when you push yourself to a new level of your training, it will hurt.
I met up with a teammate and great friend KK for what was going to be what we like to call a "friendship ride". That means no hammering, no sprinting, no big ring, spinning, chatting, laughing and most likely a pastry stop somewhere in the middle.
As we were getting to roll out, two cyclist who were in town from Canada to race the race yesterday rolled up. They explained that they were looking for a ride that they had seen on Strava a lot, and wanted to do a ride. It happened to be the same 47 mile route KK and I were doing.
As we talked more, we recognized the woman as the 3rd place finisher in yesterday's race for the Pro, Cat 1-2 women. I should explain that yesterday's race is probably one of the toughest around, 22 mile loop with two long climbs, a backside that has wind and some nasty rollers getting to the finish. I should also mention that KK and I are not Cat 1-2 racers. We aren't Cat 3 racers. We are Cat 4. What does that mean? Cat 4 is the 'entry' level for women racing. Everyone must pass through Cat 4 on their way up. KK and I are what you might call "4-for-life". In fact, we've created a gang sign for it. We are strong, intelligent riders. We just don't race enough, nor place high enough, to accumulate the points needed to upgrade. We've been around racing for a long time and we know a shit-ton of stuff and aren't afraid to tell new, very strong but sometimes not very smart racers, how to be intelligent racers. We are the Mr. Miyagi's of our team. I've also heard the term bossy bitches thrown around.
The ride today, we invited the Canadians David and Morgan to join us for the loop. We did not ride at a friendship pace ride. We rode a recovery ride for a Pro Cat 1-2 woman, which is little bit faster than what you would call a recovery ride. It was a great ride, and I felt very strong. Until we hit Mercer Island, when Morgan and David decided to do some sprinting. Let's just say that the Mortals and the Gods were easily distinguishable at those points. Did I mention that David raced in the Pro 1-2 field yesterday?
But that is not why I was humbled. I knew going in that I wouldn't be able to keep up with them if they went their normal pace. They were riding a recovery ride from the race. I was very happy with how I rode with them.
So what was it that caused me to have an ego-recalibration? It was the g-damn 30 minute run I had to do when I got home!! 30 MINUTES!!
I have previously described a brick workout, and why it's called a brick. When I first started training, I did some bricks that hurt a little. But the more you do them, the easier they get. Up to this point I have been doing bricks in which no serious long distances were done for either the first or second legs. An hour trainer work out followed by a 5 mile run. 2400 yards followed by an hour bike. That kind of thing. And I have been feeling great about those. In fact, just last week, I did a bike/run brick and had the best run I've ever had so far. No problems.
I did not know. I got off my bike, dashed inside, changed to my running cloths and started to run with Kirk. Before we hit the end of our block, I knew that this was going to hurt. It felt like I had never run before. They never really did feel normal. It was the longest 30 minute run of my life. I ended up walking parts of it. I couldn't believe how ridiculously un-fit, un-trained I felt.
I have been humbled. I have been schooled. I have had my ego re-adjusted. And I have come out stronger mentally for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment