Kurt T is a friend from high school.
His dad, Dr. Ted T played an instrumental role in my young life, forever changing it.
Dr. T (as he was known) taught my high school human physiology class. About three weeks into my senior year, he had already seen enough of me to know that I was a hot mess. Smoking? Check. Drinking? Check. Smoking....other substances? Check. Flailing, on a downward path, thinking I was the shit. He knew exactly what to say and how to say it to get what he wanted. He had seen something in me that no one else had seen. And he wanted to make me see it. He pulled me aside and said "Karen, I challenge you."
Me, being me, looked him in the eye and said "Oh yeah, to what?".
"For your senior project, for my class, I challenge you to quit smoking. You'll do it, and then write a report and present it at the end of the school year. I expect you to give this your full effort. No half-assing it. Besides, it's only for 9 months." He looked me in the eye, and despite the snarl on my face, he smiled and said "You can resume when you're done".
Gauntlet thrown down at my feet. I picked up that gauntlet, looked him straight in the eye and said "Fine. I'll do it."
There's a lot more to the story between day 1 of that senior project and when I finished. I'll give you the short story: I quit. I changed my life. I stopped some pretty destructive behaviors. And to this day, I thank Dr T for what he gave me. A life free of cigarettes.
So why do I blame his son, Kurt T? And more importantly, what do I blame him for?
This freaking Facebook post he put up on July 9:
DISCUSSION TOPIC - Which sport requires the best all-round athlete? State your opinion and give reasons for your selection. (I will add a little respectful Devil's advocate in replies and you all should too)
So I thought about it, and reflected upon my ironman distance event. I had such an amazing year, training, preparing and competing in Challenge Penticton full distance triathlon. I learned so much about myself.
My answer to this discussion: Triathlons. Must have significant cardiovascular health and at least a passing skill at three sports. A mental toughness to work through the "I'm done" moments. And you must be a little bit insane.
And now, here I sit, planning to revisit an full distance triathlon in 2016. I'm in the process of deciding which one. I'm leaning towards Penticton again. Amazing location, amazing support, and it's what I know.
More to come as I firm up plans, and make decisions.
But know this Kurt, I blame you. And I challenge you.
No comments:
Post a Comment