I have made absolutely no secret of what sport is my albatross. I have never been a good runner. I wouldn't even say that I was ever considered an adequate runner.
I mean, yes, I could run. But I think it pained others to watch. It hurt every where to run. It never got easier. Swimming would be hard, and it would hurt, but there was this sense of calm in my body that said "yes, this is where you belong". When running it was more like "No! Don't! It's evil!" As a kid, I'm pretty sure the longest run I had ever done was about 2 miles. I did do a 5k as an adult. It took my 45 minutes. Yes. 15 minute miles. Don't judge.
This is the reason why I started my training as early as I did. I knew that I would need help with this. Didn't know that I'd actually have to LEARN how to run. But I had some serious shit I had to deal with mentally when it came to running.
When I started training, my fitness was actually pretty good. Not the best it has ever been, but certainly not the worst. My first 5k, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I ran sub-10 minute miles, for three miles. In a row. Again, for the Danskin, I was pleased to see sub-10 minute miles for the 5k after a swim and a bike.
Two weekends ago I ran my first 10k. 6.2 miles. Hello. All of them sub 10. Last weekend, my longest run ever: 7 miles. I was like a steady state machine: 9:30 miles for almost all of them. I'm getting really good at sub-10.
Tonight, I did something not yet done by me. Ever. Ever ever. Never ever ever.
I ran 4 miles.
Mile 2- 8:57
HOLY SHIT! I JUST RAN A SUB 9 MILE!
No comments:
Post a Comment