Saturday, August 17, 2013

Congratulations! You're about to give birth to an athlete!

This experience has been like being pregnant.

Perhaps for those that do this on a routine and regular basis, it's not the same. But for the Sometime Athlete, who has never focused one full year on one big event, it is the right analogy.

PRE-PREGNANCY:
When I first made the decision to do this, I was nervous but really excited and happy. All kinds of emotions running through me: I'm so excited to start this journey! Will I know what to do? What will it be like? What if I fail? What's going to happen to my body? Is the family ready for this?

But I wasn't fully committed yet, as no money had been laid down, so it was all just talk about 'trying' at that point.

POSITIVE TEST RESULT:
And then it happened. When I officially signed up, I got the positive result that told me, Congratulations! You'll be in the competition next year!

This is real now. There's no turning back. I'm a bit scared but over joyed with what the future holds.

FIRST TRIMESTER:
And then I start to really train. And my body is a bit overwhelmed initially. Even a bit nauseous as I realize the commitment I've made. Wow, my body is reacting strongly to this thing. I've got some funny aches and pains, but I am reassured that they are temporary and that once I learn how to do this, it'll be fine. But I'm still thrilled at what's coming. The unknown is exciting!

I get a bit clumsy as I'm a bit tired from training. I do some stupid things (Read Injuries for a full explanation). But I chalk it up to doing new things and know that I will laugh at it someday and that it hasn't significantly harmed me in any way.

I do have moments of panic and wonder "Can I get someone to do part of this for me?" But I then realize that I want the whole experience.

MIDDLE TRIMESTER:
And then I hit the middle section of training and I am flying high! My body is really responding to the training and is no longer hurting every day. I'm doing things I never thought possible. Running longer and longer distances, going faster and faster on my swim, really getting a great base on the bike.

My body is actually starting look like it's an athlete. My clothing doesn't fit right any more.

I have periods of time when I forget what it is that I'm training for and I'm just enjoying how I feel overall. And then I remember what's coming, and I get a bit nervous. But then I get kicked by a longer distance run and I remember how amazing this is and I'm happy again.

Towards the end of this time though, I'm getting tired. It's getting hard to stay focused. I'm starting to have some aches and pains and weird things happen. And I'm freaking hungry all the time. I discover that if I'm not at work, I'm training. And if I'm not at work, and I'm not training, I'm eating. And if I'm not at work and I'm not training and I'm not eating. I'm sleeping.

And I look at my husband with a tear in my eye and say I'm sorry I've roped him into this thing. And he looks me in the eye and says "I'm on this journey with you and it's the best journey. I love you and am proud of you." and he hugs me and I feel better knowing that I'm not alone and that I have the best support around me.

LAST TRIMESTER:
While the first couple of months of the last trimester aren't bad overall, it starts to really crank up the emotions with about 3 weeks to go.

I.Am.Done. I'm exhausted. I'm cranky. I'm tired of training, counting my calories, and a new thing, my salt intake during workouts.

Answering the same questions over: Yes I'm still training. No I haven't had my event yet. Yes I'm nervous as hell, wouldn't you be!?

I'm waiting for some sign that the end is in sight. Friends who are on the journey with me, same day, but doing a different Ironman distance event have begun to show signs. They get their race numbers. A couple of days go by and still, for me, nothing. Have I made a mistake? Maybe somethings wrong with Challenge Penticton. Should I have gone with Ironman Canada? It's Challenge Penticton's first year, so maybe they don't know what they are doing and it's going to be awful.

And then they post the numbers (number 187 for those of you who'd like to know). Finally a sign that things are progressing. And then the Athlete's Bible (which is basically the manual of the event and how things will go down).

And now, here I am, a week out and one day out. I'm finally in the count down stages. If you said to me "Do it tomorrow" I might throw up first, but I'm so ready to be done that I'd suck it up and do it.

And the excitement has returned. The nerves, they are there. But so is the thrill of knowing that in just over a week, I will have accomplished something that has been life changing journey to reach.

THE BIRTHING PROCESS:
I'm not there yet. Daily updates coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment