Monday, July 30, 2012

1..2..3..breath..1..2..3..breath

Rhythm. Swimming is all about rhythm. It's been a long time since I swam with rhythm. For the past 13 years, it's been about thrashing about in the pool with my kids. Before that, it had been at least 10 years since I had swum in a rhythmic way.

I swam tonight, 1200 yards. It's been a long time since I swam that much. It was very odd having an actual work out to do in the pool. Intervals and everything! It's funny how somethings you just don't forget. Look at the clock as you go, look at the clock as you finish. Note your time, you have 15 seconds of rest. Look at the clock as you go. Look at the clock as you finish. 1..2..3..breath..1..2..3..breath..and flip..Countless hours spent as a kid staring at the bottom of the pool, back in a nanosecond.
 
Tonight was the first day of my official training. I'm working with Colleen Sullivan of Tri-Style. I've known Col for several years now, through a teammate on my cycling team. She is a physical therapist who has added tri-coach to her abilities. I feel very fortunate to have someone who is so knowledgeable about how the human body works (especially given my current state with my hip) and training. Additionally, I genuinely like her.

Right now, my arms do not like her. They will get over it and learn to appreciate her as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment